Athens Co Rd 19, Hebbardsville Rd CLOSED, Co Rd 70, Meadowbrook Rd to SR 681, Mon, 3/10 8am to 3:30pm, avoid area.7 Mar
Location: ATHENS COMMUNITY CENTER 701 E. STATE STREET, ATHENS, OH 45701 (740)797-3105
Date: Apr. 30, 2014 10 am – 2 pm
The OhioMeansJobs Centers of Athens (The Work Station), Meigs, and Perry counties will be holding their 10th annual Job Fair this Spring! Over 400 job seekers attended last year; with many getting hired for their first, next or better jobs! The event will start at 10 am and conclude at 2 pm; and is FREE to both employers & job seekers.
JOB SEEKERS- get prepared with your updated resume & dress for potential interviews during the event.
EMPLOYERS – please know that space is limited; so please register early via the website listed; OR call The Work Station at: (877) 351-0405 to register by phone.
For information about this event and more, please visit http://www.211athenscounty.org.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 22, 2014
Contact: Tamara McBride, Ohio EMA (614) 799-3695
Ohio Emergency Management Agency Urges Safety During Winter Cold
Columbus, OH – Governor John R. Kasich issued a statewide energy emergency declaration over the weekend, which allows truck drivers of propane and heating oil supplies to expedite delivery to retailers who are running low on propane fuel caused by the frigid temperatures.
According to National Weather Service forecasts, wind chill factors will get dangerously low in parts of the state, dropping down to -10oF and -25oF Thursday night.
Ohio Emergency Management Agency urges residents to practice safety and precaution if using alternative heat sources such as electric space heaters, fireplaces, kerosene heaters or back-up generators. Their use increases the chance of fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.
State officials suggests the following safety tips to prevent injury from carbon monoxide and fires when using alternative heating:
· Install battery-operated carbon monoxide and smoke detectors throughout the home, and replace or test the batteries to ensure the detectors work. If the CO detector or smoke alarm sounds, leave the building immediately and call 911.
· Have a fire safety escape plan. Practice the plan. Keep escape routes clear and free of clutter and trip hazards.
· Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning, or are feeling dizzy, light-headed or nauseous.
· Do not heat your house by using a gas oven.
· Do not run or warm a vehicle inside a garage that is attached to the home, even if the garage door is open.
If using a fireplace or wood-burning stove:
· Have the chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned annually by a certified specialist.
· Keep the hearth area clear of debris, decorations and flammable material. Use a fire screen with the fireplace.
· Never leave fires unattended.
If using a portable space heater:
· Space heaters need space. Keep the heater between 1-3 feet away from people, pets, objects and loose-fitting clothes.
· Check the heater’s cord and wires for fraying or splitting. Damaged wires can easily overheat and catch fire.
· Turn the heater down or off before going to sleep.
· Unplug the heater when leaving the home or when it’s not in use.
If using a kerosene heater:
· Follow the manufacturer’s directions, especially describing ventilation of the heater.
· Kerosene heaters should never be burning overnight or while sleeping.
· Keep heater at least three feet from people, pets, curtains, and furniture or wall coverings.
· Refuel the heater outdoors, only after it’s cooled.
· Refuel the heater to only 90% full. Once indoors, kerosene will expand.
For additional information on winter safety in the home, visit www.weathersafety.ohio.gov.